The opposition Congress have pulled the Modi government for alleged silence on the ‘blatant Chinese transgressions’ in Ladakh and Silkim.
“There can be no compromise with India’s “Security and Territorial Integrity”, the All India Congress Committee (AICC) said in a statement.
The statement talked of “umpteen news reports reflect that Chinese forces have made serious transgressions into Indian Territory at three points in Ladakh and Sikkim. The transgressions are reportedly in Galwan River Valley and Pangong Tso Lake Area in Ladakh.”
“Reports of Chinese Army moving thousands of troops in Galwan Valley and Pangong Tso Lake Area (Ladakh) are shocking and audacious attempt on our “territorial integrity”, the AICC statement said.
It said that security experts and Army veterans are seeing the Chinese transgressions into the Galwan River Valley as an attempt to threaten the “Darbuk-Shyok-DBO Road” which is vital to servicing Indian troops in Sub-Sector North and close to the Karakoram pass.
The AICC statemrnt asked the Modi government to answer five questions it posed.
* Have Chinese troops occupied Indian Territory in the “Galwan River Valley”, “Pangong Tso Lake” in Ladakh?
Have they crossed into Indian Territory even beyond China’s own ‘Claim Line’, pitched hundreds of tents, constructed concrete structures and built a few kilometres of road along the LAC in Galwan River Valley as also on the north bank of “Pangong Tso Lake”?
* Is it correct that Chinese troops have occupied the “Finger Heights” near Pangong Tso Lake?
* Do the Chinese transgressions into Galwan River Valley threaten the operation of “Darbuk-Shyok-DBO Road” vital to servicing Indian troops in Sub-Sector North and Karakoram pass?
* What steps have the Modi Government taken to resolve this all important issue of “National Security and Territorial Integrity”, including strategic preparations?
* Why has the Modi Government not taken the Nation into confidence vis-à-vis the actual position on the ground? While Government has briefly commented upon resolving the crisis diplomatically, Modi Government must take all political parties and the country into confidence on restoring the situation.
Muscular nationalism have served Modi well in elections but the Congress , stumped in thec2019 Lok Sabha polls by the post-Balakote BJP triumphalism, is now seeking to overturn the table by playing up the ‘weakness of the Indian response ‘ in Ladakh and Sikkim.